CyanoLakes has received R1m in funding from the South African Water Research Commission to implement Phase II of the EONEMP project (2020-2022) that will see the development of a mobile application.
The aims of the project are as follows:
- To develop a mobile application providing current and forecasted information on cyanobacteria blooms and water pollution in lakes and reservoirs
- To implement a method for providing weekly forecasts for cyanobacteria blooms based on remotely sensed phenology to facilitate early warning through the mobile application
- To integrate medium and high resolution maps showing cyanobacteria blooms and high resolution value added layers from Sentinel-3 and Sentinel-2 satellite instruments into the mobile application
- To promote uptake of the mobile application with community interest groups, industry and government
- To build human capacity in computer science and programming through providing internships and scholarships to previously disadvantaged students
- To generate sustainable revenue and employment opportunities through a commercial mobile app solution